Homework assignments are listed on this page. The versions listed here only exist as a resource for other instructors to use, they may be significantly different from the homework assignments assigned during a session of MH-142. If you are an ECC student, only use the version listed on Blackboard for your specific class.
Research and Choose 5 Different Types of Industrial Safety Devices
Write up a list of the following information for each of the devices:
1. Does it require power? If so, what powers it?
2. Is it a sensor? If so, what is it sensing and how? If not, how does it increase safety?
3. Provide an example of where it would be used and why.
4. Where does it fit in on the OSHA hierarchy of controls?
Choose one specific device and answer these:
1. Find a product page for the device, and link the URL to it (datasheet if possible)
2. If we had it installed on our robots in the lab room, what would we have to consider or do each time we used them?
Research 3 different tools used on robots and list the following information:
1. What powers it? (Electricity, Pneumatics, Hydraulics, etc)
2. How is it controlled?
3. Does angle matter? Why or why not?
4. What would you have to consider for safety?
5. Provide a URL to the tool's page.
6. Would it work on our specific robot? Why or why not?
7. What sort of company would use it?
Research and choose 5 different types of Industrial Sensors.
In your own words, write up a list of the following information for each of the sensors:
1. Supply Voltage
2. What is it sensing? How?
3. An example of where it would be used.
4. A URL to the sensor you have chosen.
5. What sort of signal/communication does it output? (Digital, analog, resistive, frequency, etc)
Choose one specific sensor and answer this:
1. If we had it interfaced with our robots, what new thing could we do in our lab room?
Research the different types of robots, comparing and contrasting their features, benefits, and limitations. Types include but are not limited to Cartesian, SCARA, cylindrical, delta, polar and vertically articulated.
Choose two different types and find a specific model of each. Read through the product sheets of each and/or watch marketing videos outlining them. Determine what makes each specific robot “special”. You may choose interesting robots such as warehouse drones, 3d printers, or Boston Dynamics creations – just make sure they have the information you need available.
Write a 1 page report comparing and contrasting each of the two robots you have chosen.
The report should note the brand and model of each, their features, their range, speed, how they are programmed, and an example of where it would be used. You may include features that are optional, such as safety systems, collaboration with workers, or software available to the customer.